Muslims have been saying this stuff about “Christians” at Speakers Corner for a while. A Christian elder has now said it. Will anybody listen?
James White will no doubt get bashed by the anti-Islamic and anti-Muslim echo chamber type “Christians” but whatever you say about James (and yes, he has his faults) he’s actually helped Elizabeth Schofield, the DCCI Ministries crew and St. Nicholas Church in Tooting with fair-minded advice on how to conduct yourself maturely in dialogue.
Dr. James White has rebuked a number of anti-Islam and anti-Muslim “Christians”, I just wish he had done it earlier and publicly with people like Sam Shamoun who have wasted their lives repeating inconsistent and already refuted arguments ad nauseum online. Dr. James White who is an Elder in the “body of Christ” rightly rebuked Sam Shamoun for his wild-eyed, erratic, antagonistic and insipid rants. Brother James White was correct in saying that we need to recognise that we need to move beyond that immature behaviour, he himself has demonstrated this by engaging in respectful dialogues with Muslim stalwarts like Dr. Yasir Qadhi, Ustadh Adnan Rashid and Br. Zakir Hussain. He has moved the quality of conversation from an Islamophobic and low-level form of polemics to meaningful and informed dialogue.
Of course, he’s getting criticised fro doing so because he’s threatening the livelihoods of low level anti-Islam polemicists online who rely on an echo chamber of bigoted Christian followers for donations.
Perhaps another reason why he’s being lambasted is because the anti-Islam polemicist is not confident in their faith, they feel if they veer away from mud-slinging and rattling off low-level and inconsistent polemics and move into the realm of serious discussion then it means their theology and their soteriology is put up against Islamic theology and soteriology. there’s only one winner when a straight-up fair comparison is made: pure Abrahamic monotheism or the 4th century idea of the Trinity which Jesus and the writers of the New Testament had no knowledge or the Christian idea of human sacrifice vs the pure forgiveness of God in Islam..
A few positives Brother James has been part of recently:
- Openly stating Islamopobia exists.
- Criticising anti-Islam Christians who use unfair and inconsistent arguments against Prophet Muhammad
- He bravely told Nabeel Qureshi to ease up with the former Muslim tag and be more open with the Ahmadiya tag.
- He suggests he does not agree with David Wood’s low level polemics.
- He questions the wisdom of Christians like David Wood who repost “death threats”
- James White was open and honest enough to publicly teach Luke 23:34 to be a suspected unauthorised addition to the New Testament. All this despite public criticism from other Christians.
- James White is happy to teach his church and his viewers the scholarly consensus on the ending of Mark and the story of the woman taken in adultery in John
- James has publicly apologised to all Muslims who he may have made feel as though he was not loving or caring towards them. James is trying a warmer approach which many anti-Islam Christians are uncomfortable with.
- James allowed a Muslim to speak to and teach Christians about a Islam in a church. This shows James wants to increase the understanding amongst Christians about Islam so they move away from low level internet polemics (basically the bread and butter of the anti-Islam Christian at Speakers Corner or online polemicists).
- James White has rebuked the anti-Islam types for using arguments like “Allah is a deceiver”
- James White has Muslim friends and meets Muslims in real life.
James White is a Trinitarian Church elder, author and evangelist who has had nearly 200 moderated debates including debates with Prof. Bart Ehrman and Dr Shabir Ally.